In Mexico’s booming auto industry, the cars rolling off assembly lines may look identical, but how safe they are depends on where they’re headed.
Vehicles destined to stay in Mexico or go south to the rest of Latin America carry a code signifying there’s no need for antilock braking systems, electronic stability control, or more than two air bags, if any, in its basic models.
If the cars will be exported to the United States or Europe, however, they must meet stringent safety laws, including as many as six to 10 air bags, and stability controls that compensate for slippery roads and other road dangers, say engineers who have worked in Mexico based auto factories.
REPORT.ORG Autos on NBCNEWS.COM – NBC News
SUV drivers are now among the least likely to die in a car crash, according to new findings released Thursday by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS).
Availability of electronic stability control (ESC), which helps prevent rollovers. With the propensity to roll over reduced, SUVs are on balance safer than cars because their bigger size and weight provide greater protection in a crash, the IIHS said.
IS SAFETY IMPORTANT TO YOU IN A FOREIGN COUNTRY ? WHY DRIVNG AN SUV IN MEXICO IS SAFER THAN A SMALL CAR.
1. BETTER VISIBILITY TO MAKE TRAFFIC JUDGEMENTS EARLIER
2. HEAVIER SUV PROTECTS THE OCCUPANTS MORE
3. ROADS IN MEXICO ARE HANDELED BETTER BY AN SUV
4. BETTER FRONT AND REAR CRUMPLE ZONES ON IMPACTS FOR SHOCK OBSORBTION OCCUPANT PROTECTION
5. OTHER CARS KEEP A SAFER DISTANCE, MOVE OUT OF YOUR WAY AND RESPECT A LARGER VEHICLE
6. MORE EXPENSIVE SUVS HAVE MORE SAFETY FEATURES SUCH AS A.B.S. BRAKES, MORE AIR BAGS, ROOFS, FRAMES AND CHASSIS ARE STRONGER FRONT END SUSPENSIONS ARE STRONGER. MORE RUBBER AND PLASTIC INTERIOR CRASH OBSORBITION
7. BETTER CONTROL ON ROUGHER ROADS
8. MORE POWER WHEN IT’S NEEDED
9. MORE ROOMY AND COMFORTABLE
10. MORE SECURE LUGGAGE ROOM
Do you really want to drive a rental car with a bunch of advertisement stickers on the back telling every one you are a tourist, have cash and credit cards, don’t speak the language, don’t know how to summons help, don’t know the laws, have few connections here and don’t really know where you are going ???